ICLT - The Icelandic Centre for Language Technology (Máltæknisetur in Icelandic) was established on June 15th, 2005.
ICLT has its roots in the LangTec Project (2000-2004) of the Ministry of Education, Science, and Culture.
ICLT is run jointly by the Institute
of Linguistics at the University
of Iceland (UI), the School
of Computer Science at Reykjavik
University (RU) and the Department
of Lexicography at the Árni
Magnússon Institute for Icelandic Studies (AMI).
Other institutions and companies working on language technology (LT) can apply for membership.
ICLT is a member of CLARIN
and ELRA and a supporting member
ICLT serves as a platform for cooperation between the participating institutions.
ICLT serves its role by:
- serving as an information centre on Icelandic LT by running a website
- encouraging cooperation on LT projects between universities, institutions and private companies
- organizing and coordinating university education in LT
- taking part in Nordic, European and international cooperation in the field of LT
- initiating and taking part in research projects in LT
- initiating and taking part in practical projects in LT
- keeping track on resources and products in the field of LT
- holding LT conferences with the participation of researchers, companies and the public
- supporting the growth of Icelandic LT in all possible manners
Each member institution appoints one member of the board. The current board members are: